Jump to Recipe
It is officially cookie season! And I’m here for ALL the cookies! Especially these fun and delicious Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Cookies.
These cookies are a chocolate based cookie, of course, but with added hot cocoa powder mixed in. Giving these cookies more of a hot chocolate taste.
Then, its loaded with chocolate chips and topped with a deliciously decadent chocolate ganache (which is crazy easy to make, by the way) making this the ultimate holiday cookie!
Then, there’s the marshmallow that is placed on top of the cookie, resembling marshmallows in a mug of hot chocolate. Are you someone who loves topping their mug of hot cocoa with marshmallows?
Do you prefer the mini or large marshmallows? I like to stick with the mini kind. 😉
You know Santa loves cookies! So, on Christmas Eve remember to leave a plate out with a few of these hot chocolate cookies for him. He deserves it! 😉
Why You’ll Love These Hot Chocolate Cookies:
- They’re fun to make! Get the kids involved in making these fun, festive cookies. They can help crush the candy canes and put the marshmallows and sprinkles on.
- These hot chocolate cookies are an ideal Christmas gift for family, friends, and neighbors. Just wrap up several cookies in pretty festive tissue paper along with a couple packets of hot cocoa mix and place in a holiday tin and, voila!
- Who doesn’t like chocolate cookies, especially when they taste like cocoa and have a big fluffy marshmallow on top!
Feel free to add whatever kind of sprinkles you want. Or, if you don’t want them or the crushed candy canes, then you can totally leave those out of the recipe.
We hope you’ll enjoy these Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Cookies as much as we do. Happy baking!
We have even more cookies for you to love! Peep our delicious Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies (gluten-free), Maple Walnut Butterscotch Cookies (Gluten-Free), Cranberry-Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies, Sugar Cookie Bars (Gluten-Free), and Red Velvet Whoopie Pies (Gluten-Free). There’s a cookie here for everyone’s taste buds.
Hot Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free)
For the Cookies:
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/8 c. oil, ex. coconut oil
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. gluten-free flour, ex. Bob's Red Mill 1to1 Baking Flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 8 TBSP. hot cocoa mix
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 2/3 c. chocolate chips, like bittersweet or semisweet
- 3 TBSP. corn syrup
- 8 TBSP. heavy cream
- 17 1/2 large marshmallows
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- red and green colored sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and both sugars.
- Next, add in the oil, eggs, and vanilla extract and continue to blend on medium speed.
- Sift the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and blend everything on medium/high speed until mixture is combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and place dough balls on cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Take cookies out of oven and quickly place half a large marshmallow on the tops of each cookie. Lightly press down on marshmallow and place back in the oven to bake for another 3 minutes. Marshmallows will puff up a bit. You want the cookies slightly underbaked.
- Repeat until all the cookies have baked.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Melt chocolate chips, corn syrup, and heavy cream in a small saucepan over low/medium heat. Continuously stir until everything is melted and smooth.
- Using a small spoon, drizzle a little chocolate ganache over the tops of each marshmallow/cookie and sprinkle crushed candy canes and holiday colored sprinkles on top, if desired.
- Makes about 35 cookies. Enjoy!
Stay in touch! Make sure and subscribe to our email list so you never miss a single recipe we make!
And, because we love seeing when you make our recipes, be sure to tag us @thetickledtastebud on Instagram, and Pinterest so we can see your creations, too! 😍
Thanks for stopping by and we hope you get around to making these festive cookies.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you!
Copyright © The Tickled Tastebud. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to like back to this post for the original recipe and directions.
Such a great cookie for Winter! If you love hot chocolate, you’ll love these cookies! Take them anywhere without the threat of spilling! So tasty!
These cookies are so good and it such a good combo with the marshmallows to make you think you’re eating your cocoa and marshmallos!