This moist and tender Gluten-Free Apple Harvest Snack Cake is the perfect little treat this autumn season. This simple snack cake is moist and lightly spiced with ground cinnamon. Then, added to the batter is chopped Granny Smith apple, crunchy walnuts, and shredded zucchini.
Yes, you read that right, zucchini! Hey, you gotta get your veggies in where you can. Might as well be in this delicious cake.
I promise though it won’t taste like you’re biting into a fork full of zucchini. You can’t taste it, but you do get some added nutritional value from having it in there, so that’s a plus!
Then, there’s the top layer of cream cheese frosting…nothing fancy, but this simple cream cheese frosting just completes the whole thing. It kind of reminds me of carrot cake.
There’s a little hint of citrus in the cream cheese frosting that comes from fresh squeezed orange juice. If you don’t like or want the slight citrus flavor, just use milk in the frosting instead.
You could probably even try apple cider or apple juice and see how that tastes…if you do try it, let me know how it turns out.
Overall, this is a simple cake that can be made relatively quickly and doesn’t require fancy ingredients. I bet you already have all or most ingredients in your pantry/fridge already. So, what are you waiting for? Get to baking 😉
How to Store Gluten-Free Apple Harvest Snack Cake
This Apple Harvest Snack Cake can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for a week. This cake also freezes well, too. Just slice baked cake (minus the cream cheese frosting) into 12 squares and wrap each individual square in plastic wrap and place all squares in a gallon sized freezer bag. Will stay good for up to 6 months.
When ready to eat, just thaw cake square(s) to room temperature. Prepare frosting as normal or eat plain.
Apple Harvest Snack Cake (Gluten-Free)
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- 9 in. square baking pan
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 c. gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 c. butter, melted
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. applesauce
- 1 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
- 1 c. cored, peeled, chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 c. grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP. orange juice (optional), or milk
Making the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and butter a 9" square baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl, or in stand mixer bowl, blend together the melted butter, both sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, applesauce, and orange zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend everything well.
- Fold in the chopped apples, shredded zucchini, and walnuts.
- Spread the mixture in prepared baking pan and bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly before frosting cake. Cut into 12 squares.
Making Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat softened cream cheese and butter with hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and blend until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Last, add in the vanilla extract and orange juice (or milk) and blend well. Spread over cooled cake and enjoy!
Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Come back soon for more delicious recipes 😁